Called to Serve

Called to Serve

Saturday, July 9, 2016

I Can Send Pictures! Prepare Yourselves!

July 06, 2016

This last week went by so fast! It was so far the fastest week of my mission! 

We get transfer calls next Tuesday! So by next Wednesday I will know my new assignment! 
This past assignment has been the fastest assignment of my mission. Elder Artajo and I are getting along very well. Not one argument or feeling of anger. It has just been peaceful and simple:). We have a goal to keep it this way for the next 7 days until we transfer. If we do, that would be amazing! 

A lot happened this week. But I think I'll start off by answering a few questions given me. The island dream is still alive - haha! I found my very first gift shoppe in the Philippines yesterday and have a few cool ideas of things to buy;). By the way, this is literally the first and only gift shoppe I've seen so far (thirteen months into the mission too...)

We are struggling a bit to teach some gators, due to a 2:1 female to male ratio on the island. It is a bit difficult to teach cuz no boy to join! Our main progressing investigator just finished lesson 2 the other day (so done with the first big 3) and he accepted it quite well! He says that he believes Joseph Smith to be a prophet and that he wants to be baptized into the "Mormon Church". His wife still goes very shy and will NEVER answer any of our questions or pray, not because she is being difficult though. It is hard when she won’t participate but I know that once we baptize the Alpha she will come :). Brother Juvy's extended family is doing great and we are teaching them too! They are very nice and always feed us - haha. Last Thursday we were invited to Juvy's sons 2nd B-day. The B-day of little children is a big thing here BTW. We helped Juvy cook about 11 kgs of rice in a HUGE pot over a wood fire (camping style). Rotisseried a pig. Made about 4 kgs of white beans:) and another 4kgs of the green peas. Cooked about 4 chickens. Made about 4-5 liters of spaghetti. It was a feast! We were told to be there by 3. Got there at 1:30 so we can teach Juvy's mom but she was busy cooking so we joined and helped cook all this food. 

The next day we went to Siquijor City and started to tract there. We met a huge group of Jehovah's Witnesses missionaries and had an interesting BRT. They were very nice and took some pics for us and vice versa. 

(One of the pics my Jehovah's friends took:D)

While in Siquijor City we found this other big group of people who were eating sea urchins (salawaki) straight from the ocean! We said hi and they gave us some to eat. We cracked them open and I got to eat sea urchin for the first time! Slimy and very salty! One stung my lip too... I guess he got the last laugh... My lip got really big and irritated!   

Last weekend I got to see pride from the other side first hand. A couple of prideful people unleashed a bit and I just stayed calm. It was rather depressing though. I also caught wind of the "mission gossip" going around. President McCurdy is really angry about all the gossip and I try to stay away but I finally asked Elder Artajo what others say about me. It was a question to answer our first day cuz he said he really feared me and cried that night cuz he was my companion... so curiosity got to me as I asked him what others told him about me... yeah...  gossip really does hurt even when you tell yourself to not care. The week was very awkward with the kabalay after that. And I am slightly getting happier for them to transfer SSSHHHH!!!!!!! 

Yesterday was a rather interesting day. We ended it early too... we got a bit scared! We got a phone call from the branch president saying that a mother and her 18 year old son came to Siquijor to find some kind of medicine for the mother’s sickness. The father bailed at the son’s birth so he’s out of the picture and the kid has no other siblings - only child. Well in their first day here the mother died (last Sunday). The kid has been stranded on this island with no $$ with the corpse of his poor mother!!! HOW TERRIBLE! We went to him and president to try and figure out what was going on and what he should do. We stayed with the guy for about 4 1/2 hours until he got about 15000 pesos to ship his mother home, get himself home (BTW his home is in Luzon! Manila...), and pay for the funeral. He got the money through some medical support thing they got here. 

On our way home at 7:00 there was this old nanay on our motor cab riding with us. She was a mute and TBH rather scary! She pulled out her phone and pointed at it, then she pointed at me (IDK how she knew that I had the phone) and so I pulled ours out and we had a text... I opened it and there was a text! How did she know there was a text??!! I opened the text and looked up at nay as she made an evil witch laugh. I looked at the message but IT WAS GONE!!! Blank menu screen... Nothing in the Inbox... She then started to do sign language that was really creepy. She would point at Elder Artajo and do the finger across the throat thing signifying death. Then motion as if she is drinking alcohol and smoking cigs. She made motion as if there are two people with long hair and then repeat everything again over and over and would keep pointing at Elder as if she is cursing him to DIE!! She would point at me occasionally... it was rather spooky! We got off the cab and stood on the street for like 10 minutes before we looked at each other and decided to call it a day at 7:30 instead of the 8. 

A lot of fun things happened. There is more things that happened that I don’t really have time to make mention :P but we are still alive and doing good! The people here are nice. The food is still food even if we eat it alive (the salawaki)! I have one week left until transfers and I am expecting to be training this next transfer. There is also a chance that I could become DL too for the DL here has been here for 6 months! So who knows! I will be going to Dumaghetti on Friday for a meeting so BACK TO NEGROS! I'll be able to get my package too:) 


(Near my house.)

(Giving kids the toys my mom sent me. They were very excited)

 (The most money I've withdrawn here in my mission!!!!! 4500 pesos! )

(So these little candies I got in the MTC last 4th of July. I kept them and said to myself that I would eat them in my mission. So here is a picture of the long year wait to celebrate Murica Day here on Siquijor:) HAPPY MURICA DAY MURICA!!!)

(This is a picture of me right as you read this going "all is good'' 

All is well! Take care ya'll! Love you all back at home! 

Elder Morris

No comments:

Post a Comment