Called to Serve

Called to Serve

Tuesday, December 8, 2015

And It’s Officially December!

December 2, 2015

This week was full of many...weird and challenging things. It is now December and it is still hot and humid here! Christmas trees are going up. (They are more like pictures of trees cuz no one can afford them and there aren't any pine trees here.) Christmas songs are playing everywhere, planning for Christmas activities are underway and  so forth. 

So I ran out of money about halfway through last week. I was down to 200 pesos (that does NOT get you far) and so I had to scrap by haha. (Editor's note: 200 pesos is currently equivalent to $5 USD.) I figured out how to withdraw from my personal account the day before I withdraw my support, so not much help there. I truly felt poor:). We ran into our friend "Beads". She came up to me and Elder Germaine while we were eating BBQ for dinner. She went off on weird tangents about bisan unsa (any thing). We told her not to follow us home but she would not leave us alone, so instead of walking to the house we went to the pulis (police) station and met up with some cops. They then chased her down the road and she was shouting profanities like you couldn't believe. I feel bad for her but our safety does come first and I do not want a 40 year old stalker trying to kiss me and do other things.

We went on splits yesterday to an area that is very bukid (wilderness/jungle). We walked up three mountains and around two of them. There I met a 15 year old girl who had a baby. When we sat down to teach her I figured out that the baby isn't hers. The story goes that both parents of the baby died and this little 15 year old is the only one who will and is taking care of this little boy. I felt so bad and wished I could help! She was very nice and humble and I am very thankful that at least there are some good people here willing to sacrifice everything for even people they do not know.


(This is when I was on splits yesterday, This is what Negros Island looks like.)

Went to a mini zoo held by one of the RMs here and played with his angry monkey. She doesn’t like us too much and attempted to attack us every time we got near her. Fun:). 

(Nini, the monkey that hates us!!)

We had three baptism interviews this week so you know what that means?! Three new members this Saturday the 5th! Victoria is one of them and is finally going to be baptized! I am excited and I cannot wait for this Saturday! 

So this week, a small interesting thing happened where the spirit really did guide me in what I should do. As we were planning for the day we were stumped on what to do at the night time so of course I said a little prayer on who to visit and immediately Ernesto’s face popped up, so thus we went to visit him at this weird hour (cuz every one is sleeping at 7) and we found him awake. He hasn't been doing so well lately and at church he couldn't even walk up the steps into the building. Well this night he wasn't able to do anything physical. As we pondered what to teach him I first had in mind to teach him the gospel of Jesus Christ so I turned to a scripture about the gospel that I do not normally share. As we were assessing our situation we found that we needed to be discussing about healing (cuz it was very apparent that his physical well being is not so good). I came to find that this scripture that I felt enlightened to share could also be tied in with healing as well! (I'd be delighted to share this scripture to you, but I cannot find it anymore!) We taught him this scripture and about healing and then gave him a blessing. As soon as we were done he stood right up (like he wasn't sick), went to his couch and fell asleep. We left him then. He is having heart difficulties due to high blood pressure, and to be completely honest, I think he may be going home to our Father in Heaven soon. I truly feel bad for him because everybody he knows has pretty much abandoned this old man and left him aside and not many people are helping him (including family). I hope that he can at least see the love that we missionaries have for him and that he will soon be at rest in the kingdom of our Father. 

This week has also been good for our stats. We got 42 lessons and 153 FTEs. The mission standard is the average coming in at 25 lessons and 100 FTEs. The previous week we got 41 lessons and 150 FTEs. They work here is great and the laborers are few. By and by we shall get it done! 

I wish the best for you all back at home or on missions! I love you all and hope that you have safe holidays! I sure am enjoying my time here in the middle of the Pacific! 


(Hangin' with my peeps!!)

Elder Morris

No comments:

Post a Comment